Thank you for your interest in becoming a North London Master Gardener from the London Boroughs of Islington and Camden.
We’re looking for people with a passion to inspire others to have a go at growing their own food.
Master Gardeners vary hugely, from a couple of years growing experience to many decades. They’re welcome from all sections of the community. They don’t need to be experts on organic growing as this is part of training and support.
Master Gardeners choose how they want to volunteer in their communities. Some work with community gardens or local centers, and some are passionate about growing in small spaces and they support neighbours growing on tiny balconies, where even a windowsill can grow a tomato plant or become a herb garden.
- Master Gardeners help bring together growing groups and initiatives unique to the area.
- Each has their own innovate ways of promoting the benefits of growing your own, such as events, talks, articles, and through community groups and schools.
- Each Master Gardener also supports 3 beginner growers just starting to grow their own food, offering seasonal advice and support for 12 months.
- Volunteers ‘graduate’ as Master Gardeners after 30 hours a year volunteering (about half a day a month). Most continue beyond.
- They feedback their hours, activities, successes and problems to their North London volunteer co-ordinator. Contact here.
- Full Master Gardener training supported by dedicated manual and interactive website.
- Active support from the North London volunteer co-ordinator, including one-to-one guidance, horticultural training, newsletters, and factsheets.
- Part of a network and community of Master Gardeners promoting food growing around the UK.
- Free resources, badge, clothing, safe working policies, insurance, expenses, awards, Garden Organic membership and discounted Grow Your Own magazine subscription
Questions and application
Please get in touch to find out more and for application details. Click here.
Since Master Gardeners work with the public, we carry out reference checks.
North London training dates (two day induction course)
Please get in touch with Co-ordinator Nynke Brett to register your interest. Click here.
Not in North London?
After starting in Islington, we’ve now expanded to applications from keen food growers in Camden. Please see the A-Z directory of volunteers to find out who’s nearby.
Other ways to get involved